- 50g/2oz. butter
- 1 onion, skinned and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, cleaned and sliced
- 40g/1and1/2oz flour
- 50ml/2floz dry white wine
- 900ml/30floz low salt chicken stock
- 375ml/12floz milk
- 75g/3oz. Stilton Cheese, crumbled (Try Neal’s Yard Dairy Colton Bassett Stilton!)
- 75g/3oz English Cheddar Cheese, grated
- freshly ground pepper
- 60ml/2floz double cream
- croutons to garnish
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add vegetables, and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
2. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in the wine and stock and return to heat. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously until the soup thickens then simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
4. Cool slightly and liquify by pressing the soup through a sieve. Return to the rinsed out pan. Add the milk and heat gently. Stir in the Stilton, English Cheddar and double cream until melted. Add pepper if required.
5. Do not let the soup boil at this stage or it will curdle.
The perfect addition to your holiday feast! Happy Holidays!