4 cups hot chicken stock
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 small onion, minced
1 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup canned artichoke hearts, chopped
1/2 cup taleggio, cubed ( I love the Guffanti Vecchio Valsasina)
salt, to taste
freshly ground pepper
- Keep the chicken stock on the stove over medium heat.
- In a large saute pan or Dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat and add the onion. Cook until onion is transparent, about 2 minutes, then add the rice and let toast in with the butter and onion until the grains are translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the wine stirring constantly until the wine is absorbed, then begin to add the hot chicken stock- one ladle full at a time, stirring until the liquid is absorbed into the rice.
- Continue adding the stock and stirring the risotto until it is creamy and the grains are softened but not mushy. Begin to taste the risotto after about 15 minutes to check the texture, but more likely it will take 20 – 25 minutes of stirring vigilantly. If you run out of stock and the risotto needs more cooking, use water warmed in the pot with the stock.
- When you are satified with the texture of the rice, remove it from the heat, add the remaining tablespoon of butter, the artichoke hearts, and the taleggio, stir a few more times, test for salt, let it sit for a minute, and serve with freshly ground pepper.
- Enjoy with a glass of Santa Silvana Chianti Classico!