There are so many unique and mouth-watering cheeses at Carr Valley Creamery that I decided to share another favorite with you. Bread Cheese, AKA Juustoleipa (Hoo-stah lee-pah), has been around for over 200 years, originating in Finland. The Finns most often make it with freshly curdled cow’s milk, sometimes using reindeer milk or goat’s milk.
At Carr Valley, their hormone-free cow’s milk is delivered fresh daily from local family farms to bring you the best quality cheese possible. Bread cheese comes in a square package. There are four different flavors, plain, garlic, chipotle and jalapeno–all scrumptious! Set in molds and baked before packaging, there is a nicely browned crust surrounding a slightly squeaky interior. The texture is deliciously different-like a hunk of sliced bread soaked in cheese then baked- Whoa!
Best served heated; either microwaved, baked (350°F for 10 minutes) or sautéed, this cheese just won’t melt! One morning I sampled the plain version with a dollop of strawberry jam; the next day I ate the remainder while dipping it in my coffee–both incredibly enjoyable! The other three, flavored varieties reminded me of pizza! The plain and garlic versions are definitely kid friendly. My kids and I baked up a batch of cheese sticks the other evening using this recipe– they were not only easy; they were fantastic!
- 1/2 cup Japanese style bread crumbs (Panko)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 12 ounces Juustoleipa
- 1/2 cup prepared marinara or Buffalo sauce, optional (I enjoy Bea’s sauces and Robert Rothschild’s Buffalo Bleu Cheese Dip).
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil which has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Place bread crumbs and Italian seasoning in non-stick skillet over medium heat and stirring, cook until crumbs are lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg until foamy, place in shallow bowl.
- Slice Juustoleipa cheese into sticks. Dip cheese sticks in egg then roll in toasted crumbs to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 5-6 minutes. Juustoleipa will keep its shape well during baking. Serve with marinara or buffalo dipping sauce.
- For Sweet treat-leave out the Italian seasoning, use the plain flavored Bread Cheese and try seasoning with cinnamon sugar or dipping in any sweet sauce.