Cheesy Beer Soup
It’s starting to be that time of year where soup becomes a delicious meal on a chilly night. If you’re tired of the usual canned soup, like me, this Cheesy Beer soup is bound to satisfy your taste buds!
- 4 oz Colliers Welsh cheddar, grated
- 4 oz Prairie Breeze cheddar, grated
- 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 5-8 slices of bacon, chopped
- 2 cups of beer (try a seasonal!)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half and half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy and cooked through. Remove from pot and set aside to drain.
- Add onions, peppers, and garlic to pot and reduce heat to low. Stirring constantly, cook for about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat back up and add the butter. Once melted add in flour, stirring constantly until flour is a golden color, about 3 minutes.
- Add beer and stir, cooking for 5 minutes to allow the alcohol to burn off. The soup will thicken at this point.
- Add half and half and reduce heat to low again, and gradually stir in the cheese until mixture is smooth. Fold back in bacon and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.