Every once in a while, I try to do something a little different at my store. Every Friday and Saturday, it’s a give-in that we’ll be doing a tasting with an array of tasty cheeses, but sometimes when my assistant and I are both here I like to spice it up a bit and do a little cooking as well! Last weekend was no exception; we busted out the hot plate and little frying pan and made the store smell like heaven. I give you: my easy Italian Melts. It only takes 5 simple ingredients (2 of them being cheese, of course)–all of which you can buy here at Bottle King’s Vineyard Market!
What you’ll need:
– about 1/2 lb. Imported Provolone (aged ~2 years), shredded
– about 1/2 lb. Fresh Mozzarella, sliced thinly
– 1 jar Rao’s Roasted Red Peppers
– 1 bottle Monini Basil Olive Oil
– 1 load Il Forno’s Pane de Puglia bread, sliced into 3/4 inch slices
– Divide pieces of bread into pairs; what will be the tops and bottoms of your sandwiches.
– Place a slice of fresh mozzarella on what will be the bottom of one of your sandwiches.
– Layer Rao’s Roasted Red Peppers on top of mozzarella.
If you’re finding the peppers too oily, blot them with paper towels before adding them to the sandwich!
– Place a generous amount of shredded Provolone on top of the red peppers.
– Cover the sandwich with the top piece of bread and drizzle with Monini Basil Olive Oil.
– Put sandwich oil-side-down into hot skillet over medium-low heat. Drizzle top with Monini Basil Olive Oil as well.
– Use a press–or some aluminum foil with something heavy–to keep the sandwich pressed flat so it gets nice and crispy and melted together.
– After a couple of minutes when the bottom is toasted and crispy, flip sandwich and repeat pressing process so that both sides are golden brown.
Voila! You have some delicious and easy Italian Melts.