Turn off your smoke alarms! – Beemster Smoked Gouda
Personally, I’ve never been too crazy about your traditional smoked gouda at the deli. Why?
- It’s usually processed cheese product. (think Kraft Singles)
- It usually tastes like processed cheese product, add a little smokiness to it.
- It just doesn’t do much for me.
But my friend Beemster has given me a whole new perspective on this class of cheese with their very own Smoked Gouda–made with 100% real cheese & packed with flavor.
As you might recall from last week’s post, Beemster is known well for their Dutch Gouda cheeses, of all different ages and flavors. Their Smoked Gouda is a new addition to our cheese mix here at the BK Vineyard Markets. Aged for just 2 months, this cheese starts out as Beemster’s Mild Gouda before being slowly smoked with all hardwood hickory. The final product is a semi-firm delight with an incredibly smooth and creamy mouthfeel. The smoky flavor is imparted throughout the entire cheese and, as with most smoked Goudas, every part of this one is edible–including the rind, where you’ll actually find the most smoky flavor (yum).
You love smoked stuff? Great! Because this cheese is a great snack on its own. Wanting to mix it up? Beemster has some awesome suggestions for how to do that:
- Melt over open-faced roast beef sandwiches
- Mix into pasta with broccoli rabe and spicy sausage
- Serve with charcuterie and dried tart cherries
- Pair with Zinfandel, Chianti, or an oaky Chardonnay
- Pair with a farmhouse ale
Some of my own suggestions:
- Shred it over your next bowl of French Onion Soup
- Make a killer grilled cheese with some bacon and tomatoes
- Melt it on your next Philly Cheese Steak
- Whip up some smoky mac & cheese
- Great for BBQs–on burgers or grilled chicken breasts
No matter which way you slice it or melt it, this cheese is definitely one to put on your list of things to try.
Get it while supplies last!