Super Bowl Lineup – Day 4 – Fried Cheese Curds
Alright, gang. We’re really getting down to the wire now! Over the past few days, I’ve shared some super simple and quick recipes that you can whip up for the big game day. Now I think it’s time that we kick it up a notch, wouldn’t you agree? It’s time for some hot apps!
The last couple of recipes I have for you do involve a little bit more effort, but trust me when I tell you it is well worth it.
This next one is going to blow your guests out of the water. It’s like homemade mozzarella sticks.
The first time I ever tried anything like this recipe was at a restaurant at the Palisades Park Mall, and they were SO GOOD that I just had to recreate them at home, especially when we got some Ellsworth Cheddar Cheese Curds in at my store!
Fried Cheese Curds
with Spicy Creme Fraiche Dip
These fried cheese curds are like the next level of fried cheesy goodness. They’re rich, crispy, cheesy, and irresistible. Pair them with my spicy creme fraiche for a refreshing and not-too-spicy bite.
What you’ll need for the cheese curds:
- 3 bags Ellsworth Cheddar Cheese Curds
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups Lager beer
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
What you’ll need for the sauce:
- 1 container Vermont Creme Fraiche
- Sriracha, to taste (or your preferred chili sauce)
How to do it:
- Place cheese curds in mesh strainer.
- In large, deep bowl, combine buttermilk and beer.
- Submerge curds in mixture by placing strainer in bowl. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In large Dutch oven or deep-fryer, heat oil to 375°F.
- When oil is ready, remove curds from buttermilk beer mixture. Strain well.
- Toss curds in flour mixture, shaking to remove excess flour.
- In 3 to 4 batches, fry curds 2 minutes, or until curds begin to turn golden brown. Do not crowd.
- Remove curds and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
- For the sauce, simply mix Sriracha into Vermont Creme Fraiche to your desired spiciness and serve alongside cheese curds.
* Original recipe from here. Please check with your local Bottle King Vineyard Market for ingredient availability.