IT’S PUMPKIN SPICE TIME EVERYBODY.
Now I know you’ve read the title of this post, and you’re thinking, “Amber, come on now, you can’t put pumpkin spice into macaroni and cheese.” And I’m here to tell you that, yes you absolutely can!–and it’s delicious. This is for all my pumpkin lovers out there, as well as my sweet and savory fans; think butternut squash soup and sweet potato fries.
This recipe I’m about to share blends some sweet but hearty butternut squash with some rich and robust Beemster XO as well as their Pumpkin Spice Gouda. The end result is a cheesy and luxuriously creamy and complex macaroni and cheese that you won’t soon forget.
Beemster Pumpkin Spice Mac-n-Cheese
What you’ll need:
- 3 cups Beemster Pumpkin Spice, shredded and divided 2cup/1cup
- 1 cup Beemster XO, grated
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 16 oz pasta (I like shells or fusilli so it traps some of the cheese inside!)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Optional: roughly chopped flat leaf parsley, to garnish
How to do it:
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Toss butternut squash with olive oil, season with salt & pepper. Roast for 20 minutes or until squash is tender. Puree half the squash.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions & drain.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-bottom pot over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for one minute. Pour in the milk, continue whisking until sauce is thick & coats the back of a spoon, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from heat, whisk in 2 cups Beemster Pumpkin Spice, Beemster XO, mustard, and squash puree. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Preheat broiler. Add the pasta and remaining butternut squash cubes, toss to coat. Pour into a greased baking dish, top with remaining 1 cup Beemster Pumpkin Spice.
- Place pasta under broiler & broil until top is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly, about 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
- Original recipe from here.