Didn’t I promise you I’d be back with another tasty treat this weekend?
Well, folks, patience is a virtue, for this grilled cheese may be the best yet. Traditionally I love making my grilled cheeses in a frying pan or cast-iron skillet. This time around, however, I had limited resources and opted for the toaster oven! The sandwich still gets that beautiful crisp on it AND there’s less clean-up—Where there’s a will, there’s a way, right?
“Cuban”-Inspired Grilled Cheese
For those that are unfamiliar, the traditional Cuban sandwich is made up of yellow mustard, sliced roast pork, ham, Swiss cheese, and dill pickles. We put a spin on this classic by swapping out the yellow mustard for some more rustic dijon, the meats for delicately divine prosciutto, and the Swiss cheese for the more rich and creamy Italian Fontina. The result is a gooey masterpiece of flavors and textures that’ll make you keep coming back for more.
What you’ll need:
- Crusty artisan bread—I used Il Forno’s Pane di Sesamo
- about 3 tbsp Kozlik’s Dijon Mustard
- 1 package Creminelli Sliced Prosciutto
- 3 to 4 Natural Harvest Half Sour Pickles, sliced
- 3/4 lb. Italian Fontina
What to do:
- Slice 8 pieces of bread, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Preheat toaster over (or conventional) to 375F.
- Alternatively, preheat a cast-iron skillet or pan over medium heat.
- Begin assembling the first sandwich. On the non-buttered side, start by spreading on a layer of Kozlik’s Dijon Mustard, followed by the sliced prosciutto, then the pickles, and lastly a generous amount of Italian Fontina
- Close off your sandwich with another piece of bread, non-buttered side down. Repeat until all 4 sandwiches are prepped and ready for cooking.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place prepped sandwiches on it.
- Put in the oven for about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully pull the pan out and press down on all the sandwiches using another piece of foil or a grill press.
- Put back in the oven and continue cooking until the bottoms are golden brown. Flip sandwiches and repeat until both sides of all sandwiches are golden brown and crispy.
- Slice in half and serve immediately.